Tuesday, July 3, 2007

my kingdom for a drink


as most of you well know i have not imbibed any liquids of the alcoholic variety since i was about 16. there have been many times when i frequented bars i would wonder if the social losses were worth my self-imposed deprivation, and the answer was always a resounding yes. i may have questioned it at times, but never have i actually wanted a drink, i just kinda wondered if i would fit in better if i did. all that changed last night. yesterday was my first day of training in preparation for my new career as an english instructor with nova. my god i have never wanted for the mind numbing apathy that only alcohol can give until 8 hours of being trained to school eager and hopeful new english speakers in improper grammar and poor enunciation (i was actually told to explain to them that saying have to is not correct, but hafta, or gotta for got to and the like.) holy crap, my grandfather would have slapped me upside the head (quite literally) if he heard me speaking in such a manner.

but those were not the only trying moments of the day. the students themselves are fantastic; bright, charming, and a bit shy. i am such a cradle robber, i was totally attracted to one of my students until i found out he was in high school! ick! anyway, trainer himself was a bit of a tool, kinda patronizing to both me and the students. but i guess this should have been expected, i am working for the mcdonalds of english instruction. by the time i made it home my back was aching as never before, and i couldn't be bothered go shopping, so the roasted peas and soybeans from the 100yen store had to suffice as sustenance for the entire day.

one eureka moment that came from the day did make it worth it, at least as an insight into the links of work and drinking. i have always avoided being a corporate tool to the best of my ability, and have never had trouble staying away from the alcohol. i did not realize until now that there two factors are inextricably linked. working in a suit requiring, buttoned down, no individuality, ass kissing job necessitates the drowning of our collective sorrows in a pint of beer or a bowl of sake, depending on where you might be. for now, i'll stick to my cup of tea. but i have only been through day one. with two more days of training on the horizon, i just may end up the drinking buddy my dad was always hoping for...

No comments: